Last night, my hubby and I went to see Inkheart. I’ve been waiting for this movie since last year when I read the book. First off, the movie is nowhere near as good as the book and there were a lot of creative liberties taken with the movie. That being said, I still really loved the movie!
Two things really excited me about this movie. In the book & the movie (so glad this wasn’t changed) Mo is a bookbinder and they actually showed some of his tools. I was like a giddy little kid during the very short bookbinding scene. I wish they would have gone into more detail with the bookbinding part of his role but that’s probably just a me thing.
Also, Meggie has a really excellent scarf & hat during the first part of the movie. I want to make both!
I really hope that this movie does well enough that they will make the next two books, Inkspell and Inkdeath, into movies as well.
It has been 19 days since my last post and the frequency of post during the last part of 2008 was not much to shake a stick at. If you have looked at my shop lately you have probably noticed that there are not that many items available right now. So, where have I been? I’ve been here, but I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had time to blog and when I’ve had time, I’m usually so tired that I just can’t seem to come up with much to write about.
What could be going on in my life that would make me become a sort of recluse? First, it was Christmas now it is tax season. Work is really demanding right now and it makes the rest of my life miserable. January is my most difficult month at work so I am anticipating the first week of February. I’m also working one day a week (mainly Saturday’s) at the yarn shop so I only have one day off a week and sometimes I work for 2 weeks straight with out a day off. I have also been having some health problems that are triggered by stress and cold weather and leave me crumpled into a non-functioning, balled-up, shell of a person. I feel like there is a snowball of problems where one problem triggers another problem that triggers yet another problem. Now, life in general is very stressful but it is only temporary and I will get through it.
So let us start anew. What am I working on right now? Yoga socks, a cable & lace patterned scarf, a cashmere scarf that I just cannot seem to find a pattern for, and I just finished a yoga mat bag last night. I have mostly been working on things that have very simple repeats such as the 2×1 rib of the yoga socks. The scarves are sort of on hold but I am going to work on them soon (whenever I can think clearly). I have another commission for a stocking but I am going to wait until February to work on it so, hopefully, I will have enough brainpower to work on it. I have been invited to be a part of an emerging artists show that will happen later this year and I have been working on pieces for that show too. I am also waiting until February to continue working on those pieces since I do not want to royally mess those up.
My studio is cold, very cold. My studio is a part of our house that does not have proper insulation because it was formerly a porch that was closed in converted into a dining room. Therefore, I have not been making books. If we have an early spring, I am hoping to be back in my studio by late February but the way that the weather has been so far this winter; I probably will not be back in the studio until March. I have a ton of ideas floating around in my head so look for some really awesome items to be showing up in my shop (hopefully) this Spring.
So, where do I go from here? I’m not promising that I’m going to blog everyday but I’m going to try to do better. If you just really need your Crafty Kitten/Paper Kitty fix you can check out my Flicker that I have been pretty good about updating daily with my Project 365 photos and I am often hanging out on Twitter in the evenings.
Here we are in a brand new year. Did you make New Year’s resolutions? I did this year and I hope I can stick to them. Some of my resolutions are health related and some aren’t. Want to see my list?? Sure you do!
1. I’m no longer eating fast food. I’m not one to go get fast food on my own, I guess I’m what you would call a casual fast foodie. Sort of like how some people only drink in social settings. I am now going to say NO to my fast food eating friends & family.
2. This one is the toughest one for me. I’m going to stop drinking soda. I have a partial bottle of Sprite in the fridge and several cans of Cheerwine at the office. When they are gone, that’s it, I’m not buying any more. I am a popoholic so this is going to be hard.
3. While going through my business receipts for my taxes, I realized that I bought a ton of supplies that I have yet to use. This year, I’m not buying any supplies unless I NEED it for a pending project.
4. I multi-task. I can’t help it. Maybe my hubby is right and I have ADD. While I’m typing this, I’m also eating breakfast and watching TV. It doesn’t bother me that I’m a multi-tasker but I do think I’m going to limit how many projects that I have going at the same time. I currently have 5 knitting projects but I finished 2 just 2 days ago. I think I can limit myself to 5 projects.
5. I’m getting out of debt and saving money. I’ve called the bank & checked my statements so I know just how much it is going to take to pay everything off. I should have my credit card paid off by March and my loan should be paid off by June (maybe earlier depending on how much my tax refund is). About a third of my monthly income is used to pay our past debts so hopefully by mid-year we can be out of the hole and on our way to having good size rainy day fund.
6. My mom gave me an old school TV so we could have a 2nd TV in the house. The #1 reason I wanted a 2nd TV was that I wanted to be able to do yoga again. I have a ton of videos and DVD’s but didn’t have a TV that I could use. Now I have a new-to-me TV and plenty of space and NO excuse. I’m not going to vow to doing it everyday but at least 3 days a week.
So there we have it. The 6 things I’m going to try to keep to this year. Can I do it? I hope so.