This weekend’s studio time was spent finishing the book I started a couple of weeks ago. Last fall, I was given a big box of old Reader’s Digests and, though I don’t intend to read them, some of them had really great covers. These books are just begging to be given a new life. I tried it out on this one first. The book was originally from 1989 (most of the others are from the 60’s) and I wanted to start on a newer one to test it out.
I’m mostly happy with how the book turned out. I hadn’t used the long stitch in awhile so I thought I’d brush up my stitch skills. The only thing I’m not too thrilled about is that the paper I used for the spine wasn’t the same color throughout (it was printed brown and the white is in between) so it makes the holes used for stitching the pages to the book noticeable and messy looking. I think if I use a paper spine again, I’ll cut away small sections instead of poking holes.
I really like the size of this book and since I have a box full of these, I’m going to have to make a paper order soon because most of my current stock is not large enough for a book this size (thus the notebook paper that I was lucky enough to find a stack with short grain). I’m not going to put this one up in the shop because I’m not 100% happy with how it turned out.
Now that I’ve given these books a test run, I’ll be working my way through the box and hopefully putting them up in the shop soon.